Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Buckles and Blueberries

Before I even get started, I have a confession to make....




I did not bake the cake in this post.



  
I picked the blueberries. I supplied the kitchen.  I dropped a few hints. I left the house for 24 hours. And voila....a Blueberry Buckle Cake was waiting on my counter when I returned. Magic.

I wish my mom visited more often.




The first crop of blueberries are here and they are delicious. I took Little out on the weekend to a u-eat u-pick farm called Emma Lee and it was just perfect.  Cute John Deere wagons to get to the field. Three berries for Little, two for me, one for the bucket. Him not understanding why we can't fill the bucket and then dump it out. Blueberry and Strawberry ice cream sundae's afterward. 

A beautiful - albeit chilly - summer day.



I didn't know what a Buckle cake was. 

Google did. 

So apparently Buckle cakes are simply a variation of a cobbler. And they are all based on seasonal fruits and berries or whatever fresh ingredients are readily at hand. They are all homemade and simple to make and rely more on tast than fancy pastry preparation. That's right. More on TASTE than fancy pastry. If I had known that I may have become a baker of buckles much earlier in life.


  


Mom, Little and I enjoyed it best with a little bit of ice cream (it's in fact how we three enjoy pretty much any dish). We even saved a piece bite for Mr sixtyone45...






....sorry hun. It was kinda that good.




Blueberry Buckle Cake

(Adapted from Canadian Living)

Ingredients

For the cake...
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp lemon zest
3 cups fresh blueberries

For the topping....
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease an 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together granulated sugar, butter, egg and vanilla.
  4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
  5. Using a wooden spoon, stir half of the flour mixture into butter mixture. Then add in milk and lemon zest. Stir again. Finally add remaining flour mixture to make stiff batter.
  6. Spread batter into greased pan.
  7. Sprinkle evenly with blueberries.
  8. To make the topping, in small bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
  9. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
  10. Sprinkle evenly over blueberries.
  11. Bake at 350°F (180°C) until crisp and browned on top (about 40 minutes)

2 comments: