Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chopped.

Mr. sixtyone45 and I are playing Chopped tonight.







(raw meat makes its welcome appearance back at sixtyone45) So here is the set up. It is the eve of our last full day day of vacation. It has been an absolute wonderful nearly three weeks. Very low key with a healthy dose of Vitamin D. No complaints. One complaint. I got sick. A few days ago. Strep throat. Self diagnosed but I like to think my MBA + WebMD + Greys Anatomy grants me an honorary General Medical Practitioner license. It laid me up for a solid 4 days but its gone and I'm back baby.





(what better to wrap raw meat in?? more meat.)  Like I said,  it has been a wonderful break. Even though Little sixtyone45 still wakes at the crack of dawn raring to go whether its a Tuesday or a Saturday, just having no agenda, a much smaller living space and my parenting partner here makes things pretty comfortable. I am beyond blessed.

But enough of that though.

Back to Chopped.

 At the Blog Her conference, it was common to ask people what your favorite Food Network show was and it seemed the overwhelming top answer always came back to Chopped. I like the show...wouldn't say I LOVE the show...I think the judges take themselves a bit tooooo seriously for me. But the concept is fantastic and I am in absolute AWE of the talent these chefs have. Mr. and I watch and play the "what would you do"? game....I swear the competitors are already presenting their dishes by the time we have even figured out how we would handle the mystery ingredients.




 (probably wasn't super smart to get my lens so close to the spattering oil) That brings us to tonight. We have a fridge that needs to be empty in 48 hours. Two proteins left. Chicken thighs and Swordfish. We rock/paper/scissors (lizard/spock for BBT fans) for who got appetizer and who got entree. (mini Ben and Jerry's are the default dessert winners). He won and chose apps. Meant I got to pick ingredients....I gave him cucumber (we have 3 left!), garbanzo beans, chicken thighs and a can of beer. He is literally in the kitchen right now working on the appy. I also think he is sinisterly (is that a word?) trying to figure out what he is going to give me to accompany the swordfish... the guy is nothing if not competitive.  (ironically in a competition with no judges but each other...I eat his dish, he eats mine...we debate....welcome to nearly 10 years of wedded bliss)




 This recipe is for a Prosciutto wrapped Chicken breast I made just before I got sick. It was another "wing it with what is in the fridge" and it worked out beautifully. I find chicken breast can dry out so easily and this method really kept it moist. Served up on a simple bed of arugula and shaved parm, I thought it presented well also. I would love to hear how it worked out for you....in the meantime...






....I'll let you know how I won who wins our home version of Chopped.


Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breast

4 slices prosciutto
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
black pepper
3 tablespoon olive oil
6 large fresh basil leaves
1/4 white onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)


Directions
  1. Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon pepper. Lay sliced onion, chopped garlic and a basil leaf on each breast.
  2. Wrap the prosciutto around the chicken.
  3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  4. Add the chicken and cook until the prosciutto is crisp and the chicken is cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken and garlic to plates.
  5. If using wine, add it to the skillet and simmer until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Spoon over the chicken.
  6. Serve on a bed of arugula tossed with salt and pepper, oil and vinegar and shaved parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment